Capture agent devices, such as any of the Extron SMP Series recorders, record and store AV content, metadata, thumbnail images and related material and upload their recording packages to the Entwine EMP system. To integrate these devices into the Entwine system, they must be correctly set up. Once they are integrated with the Entwine system, the status of each capture agent can be monitored through a page within the Entwine EMP user interface.
This section covers notes about SMP setup and instructions on how to view information about the capture agents ("locations") from within Entwine EMP.
Throughout this article the term "SMP" refers to any of the Extron SMP Series recorders. For a full list and detailed information on the recorders, visit www.extron.com
Setting up Hardware-Based Capture Agents
Extron recommends using the Extron SMP Series of streaming and recording devices, which support a wide variety of audio/video input sources and can be integrated with Entwine EMP.
- Make hardware connections (connect source devices to inputs, connect display devices to outputs, make network connections, connect power).
- Configure default recording file names. Using the front panel menu, commands, or the embedded Web pages for the devices, select the options the recording capture device will use for naming ad-hoc recording files if a name is not specified at the time of recording. Note the chosen file name parameters
If desired, for Extron SMP Series devices, disable the Limit Recording Size option in the system settings for default recording media.
If this feature is enabled, during recording each time a recording file reaches the specified size, the file is saved and the SMP creates a new file (of up to the specified size) for the next portion of the recording, and so on until the recording event ends or the SMP runs out of storage space. If you deselect (disable) the Limit Recording Size checkbox, the size limit function is disabled, and the entire recording is stored in a single file.
Configure default recording upload (publishing) location. Set the capture agent to publish to the Entwine EMP system. All recording devices must use the same server location.
In this case "publish" means that the capture agent uploads the recording file or files to the Entwine EMP system. This is different from the Entwine EMP system publishing the recording packages to a video portal (such as VideoLounge, or an LMS system) after editing, updating, and processing the recording.
Prior to configuring the capture agent, write down the Entwine EMP system security digest user name and account password, and the base IP address of the Entwine EMP system in the form of the server IP address or fully qualified domain name and port number.
The security digest credentials and public URL of Entwine EMP are provided by Extron support staff. These credentials are NOT the same as the administrator credentials.
- If using an SMP Series device, in the SMP Publishing Settings Web page, select Scheduled Events > Publish Settings, and select the Ingest into Entwine Server radio button (only available on devices with newer firmware) within the Active Profiles panel.
- For an SMP, select the Entwine Ingest tab (for devices with newer firmware) within the Publishing Destination Configuration panel.
- For an SMP, follow the detailed configuration instructions in the SMP 300 Series Help File within the subtopic on configuring the unit to publish to an Entwine EMP server. Set up all the non-advanced settings within the Entwine Ingest tab.
During capture agent configuration, test the connection to the Entwine EMP system. The location (capture agent location name) of the SMP should appear in the list of capture agents (which you can view by selecting Main Menu> Locations ) in the Entwine EMP user interface. If it does not, adjust the settings in the capture agent configuration and retest the connection.
If the user selects "Centralized Schedule as Entwine EMP" then the Active publishing destination defaults to "Ingest into Entwine EMP" and all other radio buttons become disabled.
Monitoring Capture Agents (Locations) Via the Entwine EMP Interface
To view capture agent recording status:
- Select Main Menu > Locations The Locations page opens, showing a table that lists the names of locations (capture agents) and the recording status of each device.
The following items are included in the Locations table:
- Name (Location name) — The name for the location or capture agent device usually corresponds to a location such as a room, lecture hall, or lab. This information is read-only and differs from the display location name (which can be specified in the Recording metadata settings and displayed in the Player, VideoLounge, and portals such as an LMS system).
- Status (Recording status) — Options for recording status include idle, capturing, uploading, and unknown. This information is read-only.
- Last updated (Last communication time) — This is the date and time when the device at that location last communicated with Entwine EMP.