To "publish" a recording means to distribute a recording package to a server, system, or service where the recording is made available to users. For example, when you upload a recording and its metadata from Entwine EMP to an LMS system (such as Moodle, Sakai, or Blackboard) or a video portal (such as VideoLounge), you "publish" that content. During publishing:
- The original source recording or recordings, comments, caption files, editing information, and metadata remain in Entwine EMP.
- EMP compiles all the components (embeds video segments, removes any content cut from the main video, adds any captions) and encodes them into a recording file.
- The resulting recording and its metadata (within the Entwine Player) are distributed to the LMS system, or portal to which it was published, where users with the appropriate access credentials can locate and play the recording.
Recordings can be published automatically or manually. Automatic publishing must be specified when you add (upload or schedule) the recording. Manual publishing must occur after the recording is already in EMP, and there are several ways to access manual publishing controls.
Step By Step Guide
When recordings are added (whether uploaded or scheduled), you can select workflow options (see the workflow step in the article on "adding recordings"). You also select whether to flag and hold a recording for further processing (such as cutting, review, or adding captions), where to publish the recording, and whether to simply upload the recording to Entwine EMP or to upload and publish to the designated sites and services (see the instructions about processing steps and publishing in the article about "adding recordings"). If a recording has been scheduled but not yet recorded, you can change the workflow and publishing settings. To do so:
- Click on the recording title in the Recordings list to open the Recording Details window.
- Click on the Workflows tab. The Workflow page opens.
3. Select the desired workflow and publication locations, deselect flags, and set processing options to Upload and publish. Settings are automatically saved. Flags for cutting, review, and closed captioning should be deselected in order to automatically publish a recording.
4. Close the Recording Details window (click the X in the upper right corner of the window). If no flags for cutting, review, or captions are set, the recording is automatically published once it is uploaded and processed.
There are several ways to manually publish a recording that has already been created and uploaded to Entwine EMP, depending on whether the recording has already been published. The processing status must be "Finished" (uploading and processing have been completed) and the Preview icon must appear in the Actions column for the recording.
NOTE: If the workflow for a recording was set to flag and hold a recording for further processing (such as cutting, review, or adding captions [see the workflow selection step in the article about adding recordings), the recording is held in the system after ingestion. You must manually publish the recording after the cutting, review, and captioning tasks are completed.
For an unpublished recording:
- Locate the recording in the list in the Recordings page, then either,
i. Click on the title of the recording to open the Recording Details modal window.
ii. Select the General tab. The window opens to the General page.
iii. Click the Publish button. The Start Task modal window opens to the Select Task page, with the Publish task selected and the Next button active.
iv. Proceed to step 2.
i. Check (select) the Selection checkbox for the recording.
ii. From the Actions drop-down menu, select Start Task.
iii. The Start Task modal window opens.
iv. Click Next. The view changes to the Select Task page.
v. Select Publish from the Select workflow drop-down menu. Publishing options appear below the menu.
2. Select the checkboxes for each option (such as VideoLounge or an LTI/LMS system) to which you want to publish the recording.
3. Click Next. The view changes to the Summary page.
4. Ensure that the configuration settings are correct.
- If the settings are not correct, click Previous to return to the Select Task page, make changes to settings as needed, then click Next to return to the Summary page to confirm correct settings.
- If the settings are correct, click Create. The Select Task page closes, a success message appears on the Recordings page, and the recording is published to the selected servers or services. Entwine shows the recording status as "Running" until it publishes the recording to all the selected sites, at which time the status returns to "Finished."
For a recording that has been published to one or more servers or services:
- Locate the recording in the list in the Recordings page.
- Click the Yes link (in the Published column) for that recording.
The Recording Details modal window opens to the General page and displays the publication channels to which the recording has already been published.
3. Click the Publish button. The Recording Details window closes and a Start Task window opens, showing the General page.
4. Click Next. The General page changes to the Select Task page.
5. Select the Publish workflow from the Select workflow drop-down menu. A list of publishing channels appears below the drop-down menu bar. Channels to which the recording has already been published are indicated by check marks. Available options vary according to the workflows available for your institution.
6. Select additional publishing channels, such as RSS feeds, by selecting the corresponding checkboxes.
7. Click the Next button. The page changes to the Summary page, which displays a read-only list of the name of the recording, the task (publish), and the selected publishing settings.
8. Verify that the information in the summary is correct. If it is not correct, click the Previous button to return to the Select Task page, edit the publishing options, click Next to return to the Summary page, and ensure that the settings are correct.
9. Click the Create button to start the publishing process, or close the Start Task window to cancel the publishing task. If you choose to start the publishing process, the Start Task window closes, and a success notification appears in the Recordings page.