After deployment, administrators and the system administrator can add and define user accounts and groups as the organization grows or new users join a department or course. Users and passwords locally defined are stored within Entwine EMP. For AD/LDAP users, the username is stored as a "user reference", but no passwords are stored.
The following procedures describe how to add users to the Entwine EMP system.
Elements of the Users Page
For each user account, the Users list displays the name, username, email address, assigned rights, account origin (type), and a button for deleting the account. Each Name includes a hyperlink to open the User Details modal window for that user.
Accounts can be deleted from this view, but any other properties of an account must be changed via the User Details modal window.
Adding a User
Users can be added to Entwine EMP as local accounts that are created and validated entirely within Entwine EMP, or as user references from an integrated authentication system.
To add a user account:
- Once logged in to Entwine EMP as an administrator or system administrator, click on the Main Menu button in the upper left of the user interface to expand the main menu.
- Select the Organization icon
Click on the + Add User button at the right side of the screen. from the menu. The Users page opens.
3. The Add User modal window opens, showing the User page at the Account Type selection view.
Select the Account Type (Local or AD/LDAP).
- If selecting an AD or LDAP account type, search for and select the user in the Active Directory or the LDAP list.
- Begin to type in the user name in the search field. The search results will not begin to populate until you've typed at least 2 characters (see image below).
Select the user from the populated list, and click Next (or the Rights tab) to proceed to the next step (see step 6 below).
If no user matching the search text criteria can be found, then "No matches" text is displayed.
- If selecting the local account type, enter the user details as described in step 4 below.
4. Enter the appropriate information for the user into each field.
All of the fields in the User view of this window are required. They must be completed before the Nextbutton becomes available, and you can create and save the user account.
The fields are as follows:
Username — This is the username of the person whose account you are creating, such as "CourseAdmin1".
- The character limit is 128.
- Basic upper- and lowercase Latin letters and Arabic numerals, hyphen, period, and @ are valid characters.
- Do not include spaces or other symbols in the username.
- Each user must have a unique username.
- Once the account is created, the username cannot be changed.
- Name — This is the name that is used for notification e-mails and is displayed in comments about recordings. It is typically the name you would call
that user when you interact with them, such as "Joe Willis".
Email — This must be a valid e-mail address.
- The character limit for the entire address is 256.
- Printable UTF-8 characters are valid characters.
- Do not include spaces or hyphens.
- The address must include at least one "at" character (@), which is the marker for the start of the e-mail domain.
- The address must include at least one valid character before the "@" character, and a valid domain after the "@".
- Password — The password must be entered into both password fields and must match in both fields.
5. Click the Next button or on the Rights tab on the top navigation bar, to change to the Rights page.
In this page you can add rights to a user account to control access to various parts of the Entwine system. However, you do not need to add a right. Rights are optional for user accounts.
Hovering the cursor over a long, partially hidden Rights name in the Select Rights panel reveals the full name.
6. To add a right to the account (optional):
- Click the Select Rights, the panel expands, displaying a list of available rights. These can be sorted A-Z or Z-A.
Locate one or more rights that you want to add to the user account.
Click on the Add button in the row for a desired right. The name of the right appears in the Added Rights panel and is removed from the Select Rights list.
Currently, the only existing selectable right is "Admin". This right grants access to the Admin UI and all content contained within it. If a user is created with out adding rights, that user will only be able to log in to VideoLounge
d. To remove any rights from the user account, click the Remove button for that right in the Added Rights panel. The name of that right is removed from the Added Rights panel and it is added back into the Select Rights panel.
7. When you have finished selecting rights for the account (or if you do not want to add rights to the account and you skipped step 6), click the Next button or click the Summary navigational tab at the top of the page. The Summary page opens.
- For the locally created users, the username, name, e-mail address, hidden password, and the selected rights are displayed.
- For an LDAP or AD created users, only the username, name, e-mail address, and the selected rights are displayed.
8. To change any of the information for the account:
- Click the Previous button or the navigational tabs as needed to return to the Rights page or User page.
- Edit items on the User page or add or remove rights as desired on the Rights page.
- When you finish making changes, Click the Next button or the navigational tabs as needed to return to the Summary page.
- View the summary information to ensure it is correct.
9. Click the Create button. The Add User window closes.
- The user account is created, and the user is added to the list in the Users page.
An account creation success message appears above the user list.
If the user already exists an error message appears.